The Friesian Horse Association of Great Britain & Ireland (FHAGBI) was established in 1995 and is the official UK representative of the Koninklijke Vereninging "Het Friesch Paarden-Stamboek" (KFPS), The Royal Society of the Friesian Horse Studbook in Friesland, the Netherlands. The KFPS is recognised as the European world Mother Studbook of the Friesian horse and is the world authority on the Friesian horse.
FHAGBI is the sole authority recognised by the KFPS in Great Britain and Ireland and will be working with and under their guidance. The KFPS also has associations in France, Denmark, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, North America, Canada, South Africa, Spain, Luxembourg, Norway, Czech Republic, and Australia and at least 24 other countries.
FHAGBI’s aim is to promote the pure breeding of Friesian horses in accordance with the breeding rules and regulations of the KFPS. It is ran by volunteers who are passionate about this breed and we currently have over 250 members, which include owners, breeders and enthusiasts.
There are three levels of membership; Gold, Silver and Bronze. Membership to FHAGBI is open to everyone, although you must own a KFPS Registered Friesian in order to become a Gold or Silver member. Members receive a quarterly newsletter and can subscribe to the Dutch Phryso magazine from the FPS in the Netherlands.
Advice can be given on buying a Friesian horse, importation, stallion selection and suggestions on travel arrangements and accommodation when attending Friesian social events, such as the Stallion Grading in the Netherlands in January.
FHAGBI has an active members only page on Facebook, where members can post pictures, share stories, ask for advice and make new friends. We aim to arrange regular social and Friesian horse events and hold an annual inspection on alternate years in the UK and Ireland to grade horses residing here.
"To promote the Friesian horse to excel in the UK and Ireland abiding by the values and guidance of the Friesland based Mother Stud Book, the KFPS."
- Build upon our strong organisation based on firm foundations, offering first class value and advice to all members.
- Organise annual inspections to ensure a platform to educate and measure our breeding achievements based on a consistent worldwide standard.
- Continue to grow membership numbers by supporting the activities of our members in the UK & Ireland.
- Maintain sustainable membership subscriptions and encourage members to share their skills with others in accord with our vision.
- Increase membership numbers 10% annually over a five year period.
- To continue to offer training and clinics in GB and Ireland where demand and finances allow.
- To encourage all Friesian owners to participate and to enjoy events organised by the FHAGBI and its members.